Step 1: Having the Right Mindset Is Crucial
Ensure that you have the right mindset when going into email marketing because emailing a subscriber list repeatedly with offers that don’t appeal to them will will do two things for you:
- It will cause you to lose subscribers QUICKLY!
- You may also suffer from SPAM complaints to your email provider
The key to engagement
- Engagement is key to profitability and success in email marketing- you MUST know WHO your subscribers will be, so you need to know exactly who are your soul clients and learn to connect with them.
- Thinking what you can do for your customers and subscribers is key to success in email marketing, and in online marketing in general – so you MUST provide value every single time. So offer advice, tutorials, blog posts, special offers etc…
Step 2: What’s Your Deliver Method?
What type of email service will you be using? You can’t just use your outlook or gmail. You need to use a third part provider, that automatically answers emails that are sent to it; without it, you’d have to send welcome/verification emails manually, which would be impossible, especially for larger lists (I’ve had clients do this in the past!)
Three of the most popular autoresponder services are:
• Active Campaign
Research them and others based on services, features, pricing, etc. to find the best one for your business.
Step 3: Lead Magnets aka your valuable FREEBIE
Your free giveaway needs to be a valuable ebook/report/course etc. that will encourage people to give their contact information to you and join your list & hand over their email in return for it.
Best, most effective free giveaways are those that address a need or want of your soul client- research online via competitors’ websites and online forums that cater to your niche to find out what will make the best free giveaways.
Choose how to create the free giveaway.
- Write/make it yourself.
- Hire someone to do it for you
Step 4: Dedicating Your Landing Pages
Create a dedicated landing page using your preferred method of making Web pages or use your autoresponder’s landing page templates.
Landing Page Templates
This dedicated landing page should have fill-in-the-blanks for name and email address, plus should have a graphic that represents the ebook/report/software program.
Add social share buttons to your landing page so that people can share your landing page and free giveaway to friends, family, followers, fans on social media- utilise the power of viral marketing.
Step 5: Thank You Page List Building
Create a thank you page that will be displayed to the subscriber once he/she has submitted his/her contact info (via single opt-in) or after he/she has verified his/her subscription (via double opt-in).
- Either create the thank you page on your website or use thank you page templates from your chosen email marketing provider i.e mailchimp
- Add social media sharing buttons so that more people can learn about your free giveaway and so that more people will join your list.
Step 6: Welcoming Your New Subscribers
Welcome them to your list, ensure they received their free download by including a link to it – you can set this up automatically in your chosen email marketing provider.
Be sure to use the <first_name> tag that your autoresponder uses to ensure the first name of your new subscriber is used in your email, as personalisation can go a long way toward building trust with your new subscriber.
Offer to help the new subscriber with anything related to your topic of expertise by providing contact info (email, social media, free Facebook group, etc.).
Add Product Upsell to Your Free Offer
An upsell is usually an enhanced version of your free offer i.e I could offer an upsell of this blog post to a course showing you how to use Mailchimp… that is an upsell
- Add a modified or enhanced version of your free offer for a low price in a first or early email to your subscriber.
- Follow up with a few more messages for your upsell to the new subscriber over the course of the next few weeks using your autoresponder.
Step 7: Decide Email Frequency
It is crucial to provide value in every email to your subscribers and don’t waste their time.
Don’t put offers in all emails either; in fact, you should probably have a ratio of about 80%/20% content/offers ratio or no lower than 75%/25% content/offers ratio.
People will just unsubscribe and be put off.
If you need additional advice or help then feel free to join my FREE Facebook Group – Click here